12 Interesting Things You Need To Know About Secunderabad Railway Station
Secunderabad Railway Station, one of the best in India is the Headquarters of South Central Railway division. This station is a major rail hub in Hyderabad Urban Area. Recently it has been recognized as one of the 5 cleanest stations in India and here are some interesting services and facilities the station has to offer:
1. Secunderabad Railway Station is the zonal headquarters of South Central Railway and divisional headquarters of the Secunderabad Division.
2. The station has 10 platforms and all tracks are broad gauged. Every platform is covered with Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) roof. Also, each platform can handle trains with more than 24 coaches.
3. This railway station has a traffic of 229 Intercity and suburban trains daily, on an average. Most of them originate or terminate at the station.
4. The station has many facilities for passengers like that of any other station in South Central Railway. For its importance in the Indian rail network, the station is well equipped with ultra-modern security and parking.
5. Among the many facilities, lodging, restaurants, coffee shops, book stalls, cloak rooms, cyber cafes are some.
6. The first platform has a pharmacy with a dispensary and a first-aid kit to cater to the medical needs of passengers.
7. In June 2013, the construction for escalators in every platform has started and the operations have started from Mid-July 2013.
8. Waiting halls are always available at the corners for all class passengers with nearly 11000 passengers visiting them every day.
9. Talking about security, there are CCTVs, door frame metal detectors, hand held sensors with plenty of security personnel using them. There are 45 camera installations in the premises of the station.
10. Secunderabad Railway station is the first station to have an automated parking facility. The ticket dispensers detect the arrival of vehicles and generate magnetically coded tickets for parking.
11. The South Central Railway also installed a water recycling plant at the station whose maintenance includes washing of 800 coaches, aprons and platforms. The used water is sent to the plant and recycled for biological and chemical treatment.
12. Secunderabad railway station became the first in South Central Railway and the sixth across the Indian Railways to offer free WiFi to passengers for a half an hour duration, after Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, New Delhi and Varanasi.